Monday 25 October 2010

THE JOURNEY TO FASHION BA

So I thought I enlighten you a bit on how I came to do fashion... I always feel that fashion choose me or that we found each other and fall in love. Sometimes I sit and think about the immense numbers of graduates that we are all graduating with, all from a different walk of life, different aspirations, but our common love is fashion. There are always going to be people better than you but the truth is that they will only be one you. so my point is that having seen people especially when you watch TV programmes such as project runway and they all saying I started sewing at the age of 5 etc... They have been engrossed in this fantasy world longer than I have been... should that mean that am any less passionate about fashion?  I remember it was year 10 and we had to choose our lessons to go with the compulsory subjects given to us... so my choice was between Graphics, Art, Food Tec, Textiles... I can say I choose art without hesitation but when selecting my second I thought hmmm which class had most of my friends in it lol yes you can see my way of thinking was a bit questionable. So I went with textiles and dare I say I dnt regret it the best choice I ever made....


I remember my firs dress project I think I the teacher practically sewed most of it... DARTS was a world I didn’t understand... SEAM ALLOWANCE huh what is that? Then they seemed alien language but they are so basic now and other things are alien... I ended up getting a B for textiles in the end and an A for Art


and I went to college and it went downhill lol boy I don’t know what happened coco noir became a rebellion and not in a good way... but I was still good in terms that in the end I managed to get B in photography, C in both Art and in Textiles. I would say the place you go to study is a big component in the results that you achieve because when I went Waltham forest college for my BTEC I would say that was the down fall.... the inspiration left, aspirations where there but other priorities found themselves first before my work and I look back and say if I could change time I would change that... it was not all doom and gloom they had they where some benefits... life drawing opened me to drawing a bit more... first time I saw a naked lady stack naked to be drawn .. They should have warned me I was not ready to see that... i walked in and sure my face said it all WTF!!! After that it became routine


Then came the days to carry my big portfolio to universities that I had applied OMG was that a HEAVY piece of work. Went Westminster found that instead of fashion they had me down for forensic photography I was puzzled... so that was a no no... Then to the dream that was CENTRAL SAINT MARTINS... to be told they would consider me as an international student... EXCUSE ME ... PARDON SAY THAT AGAIN... WHAT PART? I have been in this country long this aren’t no illegal immigrant.... so that was a no and then came to the place we now know as the MERCER building- HERTFOLDSHIRE ...ah bless Annie for helping carry that portfolio ... she goes if they can judge your work on weight then you will be in... Guess I had both the weight and the talent because am here now.


I know I will make it but like they say TALENT IS NOT ENOUGH THESE DAYs... BE DIFFERENT STAND OUT, GET RECOGNISE GO BEYOUND WHAT THEY EXPECT BECAUSE THAT HIGHLIGHTS YOU FROM THE CROWD.....FASHION IS NOT JUST CLOTHES ITS ABOUT  HAVING AN OPINION.... DO YOU HAVE ONE?

No comments:

Post a Comment